Have you had preventative maintenance performed on your air conditioner this year? If not, you could end up finding out just how hot (and expensive) summer (and fall) in Kansas City can get. Keeping your heating and cooling system well maintained will not only reduce the chances of equipment breaking down, but it will also keep your monthly cooling costs lower.
There are some activities you can do on your own to keep your air conditioner operating efficiently. For example, you can clear debris away from the outdoor unit and change air filters on a regular basis. However, professional preventive maintenance is the best way to keep your equipment operating efficiently year after year.
With professional preventive maintenance, your contractor will perform the following tasks:
- Adjust thermostat settings. If you have a programmable thermostat, your contractor will ensure that you are using the optimum settings for Eastern Kansas, and that your settings make sense for your family’s schedule.
- Check electrical components. This includes tightening connections, measuring the voltage and current on motors, and replacing any faulty parts.
- Lubricate motors. Friction can reduce efficiency and cause unnecessary equipment wear.
- Inspect the condensate drain.Clogs and misaligned pipes can cause water damage in the drain area. Your contractor will ensure that the drain is clear and that water is flowing only into the drain.
- Safety check. Part of preventive maintenance includes making sure all of your equipment cycles properly, including starting, operating and shutting off when it’s supposed to.
- Clean coils. The evaporator and condenser coils on your air conditioner can become dirty, causing your equipment to work harder and reducing energy efficiency.
- Adjust refrigerant level. Your contractor may add refrigerant to ensure that it is at the appropriate level and pressure.
- Adjust blower components. Good airflow is essential for energy efficiency and home comfort. The blower may need to be cleaned, adjusted or both.
The trained professionals at Santa Fe Air Conditioning & Heating know how to keep your air conditioner in tip-top shape. Contact us today to learn more about our planned maintenance agreements.