When a heating system stops heating or just doesn’t provide the comfort it once did, it can be difficult for the average Johnson County homeowner to determine whether the equipment simply needs a little TLC, or whether it’s actually time to invest in a new system. Santa Fe Air Conditioning & Heating has a few guidelines for helping you decide whether to repair or replace.
- Have you had the furnace for 15 years or more? The average furnace will last around 15-20 years, but they can start losing efficiency much sooner, especially if they don’t receive preventive maintenance. If your system is over 15 years old, a replacement is the more cost-effective option.
- How often does your furnace run? Here in Johnson County, we need our furnaces many months out of the year. The harder and more frequently a furnace has to run, the sooner it will need attention. Keep up with repairs and maintenance!
- Is your home uncomfortable? Do you have hot or cold spots? Have you noticed thick layers of dust constantly accumulating on household surfaces and filling the air? What about humidity? All of these symptoms could mean you need to repair or replace your system.
- What is the furnace’s AFUE? The annual fuel utilization efficiency rates how effectively the system converts fuel into warm air. The AFUE will naturally fall with age and use, so it’s a good idea to have your system inspected. If it’s wasting energy, think about upgrading. Sometimes, a replacement is more cost-effective over the long-term than simply replacing aging parts.
- Are your utility payments rising? Have you kept up with regular maintenance and taken care of all necessary repairs over the years, but your bills are still rising? It could be a sign that it’s simply time for new equipment.
- Are you planning a move? Replacing an inefficient furnace can increase the property value of your home. The best way to learn whether it’s time to repair or replace your heating equipment is with a professional evaluation. Call Santa Fe Air Conditioning & Heating. We’ll be happy to assess the efficiency of your equipment and offer expert advice!