Having asthma stinks. Coughing. Shortness of breath. Tight chest. It’s the worst. You think you’d be safe from asthma triggers inside your home. However, your home’s air isn’t any safer.
In fact, it’s worse.
We’ll shine some light on a few facts from the Environmental Protection Association (EPA) to show you what we mean. But we won’t leave you hanging. We’ll give you the strategies to keep your home’s air “breathe-worthy” so that those with asthma and allergies can enjoy themselves while at home.
1) “Indoor air pollutants have been ranked among the top five environmental risks to public health.” (Source)
2) “Indoor levels of pollutants may be 2 to 5 times – and occasionally more than 100 times – higher than outdoor pollutant levels.” (Source) It’s worse inside than outside because your home is sealed up tight. So your home is basically a Ziploc bag filled with airborne pollutants that can’t escape.
3) “Every home has dust mites…Exposure to dust mites can cause asthma in children who have not previously exhibited asthma symptoms.” (Source) Dust mites are little insects too small to see with your eyes and feed on your skin flakes. Disgusting.
4) “Chemical irritants are found in some products in your house and may trigger asthma.” (Source)
These products include:
- Air fresheners (Febreeze, anyone?)
5) “Studies estimate that thousands of elderly people die prematurely each year from exposure to fine particles.” (Source) Fine particles, which are an inhalation hazard, especially those with asthma, are hard to catch because they are less than 2.5 micrometers in diameter, small enough to fit thousands of them on the period at the end of this sentence.
Solid strategies to keep your home’s air clean
Enough of this doom and gloom! Making sure your home’ air stays clean is easy. The EPA recommends these 3 strategies to keep your home’s air clean:
- Source control – Remove the source(s) of the indoor pollution.
- Improve home ventilation— One way to do this: Crack open a window.
- Use air cleaners – A quality whole-home air cleaner can catch even the smallest particles in your air. We carry an air cleaner that will clean the air in your entire house over four times an hour every hour by permanently trapping particles down to 1 micron–that’s 98% of all particles.
To learn more about how to keep your home’s air clean, or to learn more about air cleaners, contact one of our air quality experts for help.