There’s nothing quite like dazzling lights during the holiday season. But as with any kind of electricity, you want to make sure you take care of yourself and your family. Wires and plugs, especially when mixed with the outdoor elements, are no joke.
As local electricians in the Kansas City area, our team at Santa Fe Air want you to make the most out of the holidays and stay out of harm’s way. So keep reading for our quick guide on Christmas light safety tips you’ll definitely want to follow. And when you’re done, be sure to check out our full holiday guide to find that perfect gift!
Our christmas light safety checklist: Dos and Don’ts
It can be easy to think, “hey, I’m just going to hang these lights up… no problem.” And while they shouldn’t be a problem, it doesn’t mean you should throw caution to the wayside. Here are a few quick dos and don’ts you should always follow when setting up lights.
- Do check your string lights for any exposed wires, cracked cords, or frayed ends
- Don’t hang any lights up with nails or items that could pierce the cord
- Do use insulated hooks for hanging lights
- Don’t ignore your extension cords (yes, they can overheat)
- Do verify your outdoor lights are designed for the outdoors
- Don’t hang lights on dry trees (can cause a house fire, so keep your trees watered)
- Do consider LED lights; they save energy during the holidays and produce less heat
- Don’t overuse old lights—replace them when necessary
- Do use a strong ladder when hanging lights outside
- Don’t keep lights on 24/7
- Do find weather-proof lights for the outdoors
- Don’t keep cords sitting directly on the ground where they could get into puddles
- Do ask for help if you can’t hang lights on your own
- Don’t overload your outlets
- Do use a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) outlet to prevent shocks
Learn more Christmas light safety tips with Santa Fe Air
If you’re looking for more christmas light safety tips, then we’ve got you covered. At Santa Fe Air, we pride ourselves on knowing all things heating, cooling, and electrical. We’re the best HVAC company in Kansas City, and we help people in the KC and Johnson County areas get the most out of their heating and cooling systems.
No matter what, our customers receive pristine service each and every time. Through our dedication and care, we ensure we get the job done right the first time—no ifs, ands, or buts about it.
Since 1987 (yep, you read that correctly!) we’ve provided the best service by treating our customers like family, keeping our word, and avoiding upselling just to catch an extra buck. In the end, you get to make the final decision about what’s best for our home to maximize your family’s comfort; we’re just here to help you get there!
Get started today with a free online quote.